Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Childbirth Class #2

Last night we had the second meeting of our Prepared Childbirth class. It was once again very informative. We talked about the dreaded pain aspect of labor.

**Side note** I am coming to the realization that I might be going into this whole labor and delivery thing a little naive. I mean we have all seen women give birth on TV and in the movies and how they are screaming and writhing in pain. I just don't see myself reacting like that. I mean I do realize that it is going to be painful and I guess I won't really know how I am going to react until I am actually in the moment but I just don't see it going down like the ones I have seen. I guess at this point I'm happier being naive about the whole thing than being completely worried and stressed out about it all. **end side note**

Now back to what we learned in class last night. After talking about pain we talked about the 1st phase of labor. It is broken up in to 3 stages and can last SEVERAL hours. We then watched a video which included another birth story. Again, Collin really enjoyed that part ;). We finished up the night with some relaxation techniques like breathing patterns and a visualization exercise.

I'm really excited for next week's class because we get to do our tour of the hospital. I will be cool to see the rooms and nursery that we will have Maddox in.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Life as a Spencer! said...

Holly,
Shane and I are so excited about your new little baby! Thanks for letting us all "read" along on your journey.
Crystal Spencer

Laura Beth and Cliff said...

LOL. Those feelings are very normal...at least they were for me. A lot of our class centered on dealing with the pain but they were also coming from the standpoint that you weren't going to get an epidural. If you get the epidural, there is nooooo pain and it is a great experience. You will do great, I am a little worried about Collin though,,,LOL