Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How big is Maddox? - 27 weeks

Sorry I'm posting so late today...I forgot to do it earlier and then we had our first prepared childbirth class tonight from 6-9 so we are just getting home from that.

I'll start out by saying that childbirth class was very informative. It was our first of 4 classes. It is a very eclectic group of people to say the least...lol. Basically tonight we had introductions, talked about the anatomy of the mom while baby is growing and then a brief overview of labor. We talked about and practiced some breathing, visualization and massage techniques as well. We also watched a short video about the stages of labor which showed an actual childbirth and the birth of the placenta which I think Collin thoroughly enjoyed...LOL...I am 100% kidding on that one...he didn't actually watch those parts which I can't really blame him for...it is somewhat disturbing...lol. Anyways, that about covers our first class. I'll let you know how the rest of them go as we have them (every Tuesday for 3 more weeks)

Now on to Mr. Maddox. Let's see how big he is now.


He now weighs a little over 2 pounds and is about 14 1/2 inches long from head to toe around the size of a large head of cauliflower. Dr. G said Maddox will gain about an ounce a week from here on out. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, his brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother him, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.

I am still feeling pretty good. I think Maddox has decided to camp out on my sciatic nerve which is causing some sharp pains in my lower back when I do certain things like bend over, sit in certain positions or put on my shoes. This is pretty normal from what I have read but it is annoying. I suppose if a little back pain is the worst thing that I experience during this pregnancy then I'm doing really well!!

Mark one more week off the calendar...13 more to go!!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Casey said...

If you lived here in AZ I would offer to give you a massage. However, I would look someone up and go get a massage. It will really help out with the back pain, and whatever else you are experiencing. It sure did help for me! :) Glad everything else is going great for you!! :)