Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Photography 303

Last night was a good night in my photography class. I learned a lot. We talked about metering, exposure compensation and composition.

I think the biggest thing I learned is the one-third rule. Apparently, putting your main subject in the center of the picture is frowned upon in the photography world. Of course no rule stand across the board but for the most part you should try to stay away from it. Once we started talking about it and looking at examples of good photos it was clear. It's one of those things that you just don't really notice until someone points it out. The basic gist of this one-third rule is to divide your picture into a 3X3 grid and then put your subject in one of the thirds either going horizontal or vertical depending on your particular picture. It's a pretty simple thing to do if you just know about it. So, I am glad we talked about that last night.

We only have one more class to go and I think next week we are talking about filters, flashes, other equipment and then maybe composition a little more. So I will be looking forward to that.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Tammy M. said...

Sounds like a great class. So glad you have the opportunity to be there.