Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Most embarrassing moment of the year...

So...I thought today was my boss' birthday. "Thought" being the keyword in that sentence. Here's what happened...

I checked my iCal on my computer and noticed that it said "Terry's B-day" for today. So I went out and bought him what I think was a nice gift and a card and brought it to work with me today. I set the gift on the counter at work and proceeded to do my work. When my boss walked into the office I said in a cheerful voice, "Happy Birthday" to which he responded with a very confused look. I saw the look and thought uh oh what's wrong?? Does he not like my gift? I then responded with, "it is your birthday right???" He smiles and shakes his head NO...At this point, I think oh no what have I done?!?! I politely ask when his birthday is and he tells me that it is on January 6, which is exactly one month from today. It turns out that I accidentally typed his birthday in December instead of January. We both laughed at the situation and decide that he could go ahead and use the nice new mug I got him from Starbucks even though it is not actually his birthday for another 30 or so days.

So the lesson in all of this...make sure to ask your other boss if it's really your other boss' birthday before making a fool out of yourself on their non-birthday. Although, I think it is better to remember someones birthday on the wrong day than to forget it altogether, but that is just my opinion.

And Terry if you read this...Happy Birthday...in a month... :)

No comments: