Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wasting



I feel like Maddox has entered a stage where he wastes a lot of food and I'm not sure how to remedy this. He is a very sporadic eater so some meals he will eat everything in front of him and others he won't take a single bite. The problem is there is no way of knowing which eater we will get at any particular meal. I have definitely found that he has a sweet tooth and would eat candy and junk food all day long if I would let him but of course I don't let him do that...despite some protest lol.

I guess I am asking my readers if you guys have any suggestions for getting him to eat more consistently and to want to eat healthier foods. I am not worried about him not getting enough to eat because he is obviously not having any trouble growing. I am just tired of making/paying for food that he doesn't eat.

So what advice do you have for me friends?!?!

3 comments:

Tammy M. said...

As I have just finished this age in my developmental psychology class...this was one of the sub titled areas. At this age kids don't need as much food, they become pickier, sometimes they will eat a little, sometimes a lot. The book says to offer healthy food with no pressure, keep the sweets away as much as you can. As a mom...I threw away a ton of food when my kids were this age. I just started serving smaller portions, had them help a bit in preparation, made their food interesting...pancakes with a happy face in it...chopped up fruit with yogurt to dip it in...and still be prepared to throw some away. Atleast you know if they devote several paragraphs in a psychology book to this subject, you are in good company ; )

Ashley said...

Emma is doing the same thing right now. It's very frustrating, but hopefully just a phase!

Laura Beth and Cliff said...

I read that you have to offer a child a new food 10-15 times before they will actually eat it. No fun. We make Aidan at least try it before he can get down. I feel that is really all he is capable of right now. I also went out and bought that V8 fushion juice. It has a full serving of veggies and fruit in every sippy cup. He gets one of those a day so I know he is at least getting some veggies. I also make smoothies and put steamed veggies in. He never knows the difference. I think as long as you can get him to try it you are right on track with a toddler.