Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wake-Up Call

Last night, Collin and I got to spend a few hours on the Labor and Delivery floor at the hospital as the result of several hours of consistent contractions about 2-4 minutes apart that wouldn't stop. After having them for about 2 hours I decided it was time to call my doctor because I knew that wasn't normal and that having more than 6 contractions in an hour was a sign of pre-term labor. My doctor said I need to go in to the hospital to be checked out so our friends came and picked up Maddox and kept him for the night for us (thanks Cox's) and off we went. We got there a little before 10 and they hooked me up to the fetal monitor and contraction monitor to check things out. My contractions weren't intense at all but were consistently 2-4 minutes apart. The nurse called my dr. after monitoring me for a while and they decided to give me a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions and some IV fluids because often times this is caused from dehydration. The contractions stopped almost immediately after the shot. My dr. was actually at the hospital already, doing a surgery, so she came in to check me out and found that I wasn't dilated at all and said I could go home if I didn't have another contraction in the next 15 minutes because that would make an hour without having any. That was the case and at a little after midnight we were discharged and allowed to go home.

Honestly, It didn't stress me out as much as I thought the possibility of having Miss Addison early would. I mean we were in no way completely prepared for her arrival...I mean we haven't put the car seat in yet, we haven't packed our bags and I haven't washed any of her clothes yet. I guess this was a good little wake-up call to motivate me to get all of our stuff together and ready for her to come at any time!!

I am thankful that Addison is still growing safe inside because I know its what is best for her but I will say that I got a little excited about the thought of not being pregnant anymore lol. This pregnancy has been pretty smooth but I have just been much more uncomfortable and found it difficult to chase around and carry Maddox. I have been getting heart burn at night a lot and my back has been hurting more. But I know in the end it's all worth it!!

This little experience just made it a lot more real that baby girl will be here before we know it!! We can't wait to meet her but of course above all we want her to stay inside until she is big enough to and ready to make her grand appearance!!

Photobucket

No comments: