Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dependancy

Today I came to a new realization - I am 100% dependent on electricity.

It was a normal Tuesday until about 11:30 A.M. when a small storm rolled in and knocked out our electricity. I mean that is a fairly common thing, who hasn't lost electricity for a short while during a storm at one time or another?!?! For the first couple of hours we just tried to entertain ourselves by playing pool and board games, things that don't require any electricity. But after it being off for about 8 hours we started getting a little annoyed. We couldn't watch TV, we couldn't get on the internet, we couldn't turn on any lights, I couldn't finish straightening my hair (which I was in the middle of when it went out), it was starting to get hot because the A/C was out, and we couldn't cook anything for lunch because all the appliances were off.

It is just so amazing to me how we become so dependent on things without even realizing it. I never even think about all the things I do each and every day that require electricity. And really its kind of sad because it takes something like that to get us to turn off the TV and put down our computers and even then instead of enjoying the time without those things we go into "withdrawals" after not having them for only a few hours.

If only we could become that dependent on God, having Him as a part of our lives all the time and when we are apart from Him having those feelings of withdrawal and cravings for Him. Unfortunately, we far too often become dependent on other things like our computers and the TV and a lot of times without even realizing it. But thanks to an unexpected 8 hour power outage, I have now realized this dependancy. Hopefully, I can use this realization to make some changes in the things I depend on the most.

Photobucket

No comments: