Sunday, June 15, 2008

Daddy's Day

I have a somewhat interesting situation when it comes to my dad or dads I guess I should say. My parents got divorced when I was pretty young and my mom remarried when I was in the 1st grade. So, I suppose you could say that I have 2 dads now because of that.

Let me start out by telling you about my dad. For a while my 2 younger sisters and I stayed close to him and did the whole every other weekend thing that most kids from a divorced family go through but as time went on we grew further apart. I do remember loving the times we got to stay with him because we always did something fun. But I also remember times when my sisters and I waited on the front porch for him to come pick us up and my mom having to come out and tell us she didn't think he was going to make it that day. There have been good times and happy memories but it has also truly been a struggle to deal with hurt that comes along with having a dad who isn't there for you when he should be. Despite everything that has happened though at the end of the day he is still my dad and I will always love him.

My dad, my sisters and me

Now let me tell you a little about my step-dad, Greg, or as my sisters and I call him, Gregie. Like I said before, my mom married him when I was in the first grade. It was a difficult adjustment, as it often in for children, to let another man be your "dad." But Gregie was patient with us and no matter what treated us as if we were his daughters. I mean there aren't many men who would take on the responsibility of being a father to 3 young girls, but he did it with patience and grace. He has been there for from the start. He took us to church, he insisted on sending us to private school even though it was a sacrifice for him, he taught me how to drive, got me my first car and showed me extreme grace when I wrecked it a week after I got my driver's license (but that is a whole different story), he was there when I graduated from high school, he sent me to college and he walked me down the aisle when I got married and I am certain he will be there for many milestones in the future. I am so thankful and feel so blessed to have a man like him in my life. He has done so much for me and made more sacrifices than I will ever even know about.

Gregie, my mom, one of my sisters and me

While it has been hard at times, I know God brought me through all of these things to make me who I am today and I am thankful for that. I know I have been blessed more than I could ever deserve. I know I am nowhere near perfect but I hope I have handled the situations in this area that have been thrown my way in a manner that is pleasing to the Lord. I continue to pray for both my dad and Gregie that they can be the men that God wants them to be. I know both of them have shaped me to be the person I am today and I am thankful for that. So, happy father's day to both of my dads as well as all the other dads that might be reading my blog.

Photobucket

1 comment:

M'chelle said...

H ~ What a wonderful person you have become. Whomever guided and loved you, helped you become such a special and unique individual. I really enjoyed your post about both your dads and can somewhat relate. Love you ~ M!