Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bottle Update

So, I think this whole dropping the bottle thing is going to be easier than I thought!! Maddox was never one of those babies that carried his bottle around with him or requested it. We have always just fed it to him and when he didn't want anymore we took it away. I think that is going to be the key to our success. The past 2 days we have only done one bottle a day right before bedtime and he has done great!! I have done a sippy cup right before naps and he will drink a little bit and then go through his normal nap routine. YAY!!

My only concern now is that the only way I can get him to drink a subsequent amount of milk in one sitting is with a bottle. So right now he does 10 oz. right before bed and then just sips on his cup the rest of the day. Once we drop the bedtime bottle I'm not sure how I will get him to drink an adequate amount of milk each day. He does like yogurt so he has that every morning for breakfast and sometimes a yogurt stick for a snack so that accounts for some of his daily need and then he does drink milk with his meals. I guess we will just go with it and be thankful that it hasn't been a huge ordeal dropping the bottle!!

Once we get rid of the night time bottle we will move on to dropping the paci which I know will be the hardest task of all because he is pretty attached to that thing!! So again, any moms out there with tips on getting rid of the paci please feel free to pass them along!! I'm gonna guess that just quitting cold turkey and working through the extra crying is gonna be the best way for us...or maybe we will start out by cutting it out during the day and then moving to cutting it out during the nighttime. We will just have to see when the time comes!! I can't believe we have a baby old enough to be going through these transitions!!

BTW...Maddox is 13 months old today!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Amy said...

He is getting SO big! Brett LOVED his pacifier but giving it up (when he was around 2) didn't turn out to be a big deal. We started with only allowing it at nap time and bed time, then just bed time, then not at all. I had a little talk with him about it near the end and he did fine! I think it was harder for us to be disciplined about it than it was for him to go without.

Laura Beth and Cliff said...

Wow that is great with the bottle! Way to go Maddox!! Our doctor recommended, for the pacifier, to poke a small whole in it so that it changes the texture and will be less appealing.