Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nap Help

Ok all you mom's out there...I need your help. My little buddy is a TERRIBLE napper. He fights every single nap and once he does finally give in he only naps for 20-45 minutes (usually on the shorter end). It is so frustrating. I never have time to get things done around the house. He is an awesome sleeper at night time (which I am so thankful for and would take any day over good naps) and always goes right to sleep when I lay him in his crib but any other time I put him in there he just screams. Today I put him down for a nap and he cried for an hour straight until I went in and picked him up and rocked him to sleep and even after all that crying he only slept for 25 minutes. So my question is, do you have any tips to help me get my buddy to take at least one good nap a day?? I have done the Babywise technique and it worked great for night time sleep but the napping thing just isn't working for us. We go in for his 4 month appointment next Tuesday and I'm pretty sure we will get the OK to start solid foods and I am really hoping that will help him sleep better because he will be more full. But if that doesn't work I just don't know. I might just have to accept the fact that my buddy is just not a napper (sad day). But seriously if you have in tips or tricks I am more that open to hearing them!! Thanks so much!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Alison said...

holly, sorry about this...i can relate to that frustration. cailyn was a little like that at times when she was little like maddox (she got better!). anyway, my first question would be...how long is he awake between nap times? possibly, if you kept him up a little longer for more stimulation, he might nap longer. also, i read the babywise book and cannot remember exactly what they say, but we also eventually used the Ferber method later. anyway, one thing you learn in that book is about how to help your child get to sleep on their own. so, even though he falls asleep well at night, you might be able to set up some other things in place at nap time that become familiar to him so he goes to sleep for one and stays asleep for longer. like...music, a fan, a sound machine, etc. you might already do those things, but if not...it might work. also, if he sleeps with his paci and is waking up b/c it is falling out of his mouth, that might be another thing to change. no paci at nap time. i know that sounds crazy if you use it now, but he would learn if you chose to do that. anyway, good luck. hope this advice is helpful.
-alison thompson

Jo Brock said...

So sorry you are having this issue. I understand how important naps are for everyone. My first daughter was not a good napper as a baby and still is not a good napper. Sometimes, it is just how they are...they still need the nap, even if they don't think that they do, but this could definitely just be an issue that you may have with him for a while. I think it is important to make sure they can fall asleep on their own. One thing that helped us out a lot was creating a routine that we did before naps and before bedtime...make them as similar as you can that way they start recognizing that they are about to be laid down to take a nap. An example could be turn on some soft music (we did this for my first daughter and it really helped her), change his diaper, sit in the rocking chair and read a book and hold him for a couple of minutes, then lay him down...awake. Sometimes it also helps to give them a "lovie" a bear, blanket, something that they can sleep with and associate with sleeping. Hope you get it figured out soon.