Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Honesty about Ministry

I'm just going to go ahead and throw this out there and say, ministry is hard.  Not just like a little bit hard but like really really hard.  It's hard emotionally, its hard spiritually, its hard on marriages, its hard on kids, its hard on friendships, its just plain hard.

I have really been struggling with this lately because of the place we find ourselves in at this point in time. I often find myself wondering if others in ministry positions feel the same way or if it is just us?  Are we the only ones who feel like we are drowning in complaints at times?  Are we the only ones who have asked ourselves why are we doing this? What's the point?  Are the tears and pain really worth it?  I don't know maybe we are alone in these feelings.  Its hard to know because we too often put on our happy faces and fail to share what is going on in our lives.  Slowly as time goes on though, my mask is starting to come off.  I just don't have the strength to hold it up much longer.

There are days when I feel like I just don't want to do it anymore.  Its so hard when you feel like you are trying to live out a calling from God and all you get in return is criticism.  Its so hard, as a wife, to hear people speak negatively about your husband when you know he pours his whole heart into what he does.   I think sometimes people forget that the ministers are people too.  They have feelings and what they do isn't just a paycheck.  Its their passion, their calling, their life.  When someone criticizes a sermon or a service its like telling them their kid is ugly.  Its personal, it cuts to the core.

The church is a strange place to me.  It is supposed to be made up of God's people and yet the way we often act is not the way of God.  We so often fail to show love and grace because we get so caught up in our own needs and wants.  We all want a say in how things operate and tend to get upset when things don't go our way.  It's like in sports, everyone thinks they can coach the team better than the coach.  We would never complain at our jobs or argue to our boss like we do at church.  It's just strange to me.

I have to constantly remind myself that the church is made up of imperfect humans and that is going to lead to disappointments and hurts.  The only one who will never let us down is the Father!!  But that doesn't make it any less hard when it happens.

Of course it isn't always bad being in ministry.  I have just found myself in a very discouraging place at this time.  I'm certain Satan know exactly what to do to get us down and boy has he been sticking it to me lately.  I just want to find a way to not be frustrated and hopeless about all that is going on around me.  I need the Lord to fill my heart with joy in the midst of the craziness of being a family in ministry.  I hope and pray that he will bring us out of this turmoil on the other side with a renewed trust in His church and His people. I pray that regardless of how we are treated we will show love to everyone.  I pray that he will give us strength to persevere and overcome the attacks of the Deceiver.  I pray that he will bring wisdom in the midst of decision that need to be made.  I pray that he will prevent our children from being scarred by the thing that come with being preacher's kids.  I pray that in all these things His will be done.
 

Photobucket

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well written! I am going to be praying for those things too, keeping you and Colin in our prayers. Keep looking up.

HollyCamel said...

Holly, I come from a different side of this too. I've never known any different. It brings tears to my eyes that you have to deal with this. My family has been hurt terribly because we were part of ministry. People are people and you try to view them that way, but you also ask why they don't see your family as people as well. Just because a family decides to go into ministry does not mean they somehow become immune to having feelings or it won't hurt to hear horrible things said about them and/or their loved ones. We have tried to laugh about some of the things that have been said about all of us, but sometimes things are so hateful you can't shake them. I could write forever on those stories. I don't say this to scare you, but so you can know this, what you and Collin have done here been so great for my own family and so many others. I guess we as a church and a family need to reach out to you more and let you know what an amazing thing you all do to lead us as a church. Unfortunately, the minority tend to be the most vocal with their issues. Collin challenges us to be uncomfortable and we need to go out and do what God has called us to do. Love God and go love people, right? God has some incredible plans for you and your family. Hang in there. It's okay to speak out about this. Don't let people silence you, that makes it harder. Although I don't know it from being a wife, but as a daughter I feel you and if you ever need to talk I am here. I am praying for you and your family. Keep fighting. The Father knows your pain and loves you. Keep looking to him.

Holly Culbertson

MB said...

SPOT ON!!!

Diane said...

My heart aches because yours does. I am so thankful for you and love you dearly. Praying for you and those precious ones who you nurture and love. He will sustain you through this and draw you ever so close to Himself. God's sweetest blessings upon you.

Unknown said...

Holly,
I will be praying that God give you strength. What you are feeling is normal. Please know that for every negative comment there are positive comments that go unsaid. I leave every Sunday uplifted and ready to face my work week because of Collin's words. He leaves me thinking and always wanting to serve God in better ways. Maybe as a family we need to do a much better job of telling what we like rather than what we don't. I can tell you Holly that my girls and I love you and your family.

Emily said...

Hang in there, Holly! I would encourage you to connect with other women in ministry as much as you can. It can be a strangely isolating life, but there are many other women who share your experience. See the below article by Rochelle Palmer (if you haven't already read it). This is a community that I'm connecting with, as well. You guys are loved.

http://www.thepalmerperspective.com/2012/01/27/its-not-you-its-ministry/

Candy said...

Holly - I am so sorry for the hurt that you are feeling. It is difficult to feel like all you do and who you are is under the scrutiny of others, most of whom have never been in your position. I can only reassure you that others are brought closer to our Father by what you do, as you show His glory. He still works in amazing ways and I pray that you will be blessed with that vision today! Blessings to you, Collin and the kids - We love you!

Robert and Jana Lee said...

Holly, thank you for being so honest about your feelings regarding ministry. My wife and I have been serving in full-time work with the church for 35 years, and we can relate to almost all that you have expressed so eloquently. At times it is very difficult to deal with people, even our brothers and sisters in Christ. But God has always been faithful, and our challenges have played an important role in our spiritual growth. We appreciate you and Collin very much, and we are thankful for the great blessing that your family is to the Littleton congregation. May God strengthen and sustain all of you continually. Our prayers are with you.