Thursday, June 9, 2011

Addison's Birth Story

Alright here it is...

Tuesday morning, May 31, we woke up around 6:45 am and I called the hospital to make sure they weren't too crowded and that we were still ok to come in for our scheduled induction. They said they were ready for us and to come on in. So we got ready, loaded up and headed to the hospital. We got to the hospital at around 7:30 am and got all checked in. Turns out we were the only ones in Labor and Delivery the whole day so it was really quiet around there.



They started my IV at around 8:30 and I saw my doctor. He checked my progress and said I was dilated to about a 1 before any meds. So they decided to start me on a medicine that is supposed to soften the cervix in hopes that it would jump start my labor without having to do any Pitocin. I started having regular contractions and by the time they checked me again at around noon I had progressed to 2-3 cm. I was getting a bit uncomfortable at this point so I decided to get things started on the epidural process. They started up my IV again and then the anesthesiologist came in and did my epidural. My doctor came in around 1:45 pm and broke my water. Right before this my nurse, Dawn, checked me again and said I was dilated to a 3. At 3:15 pm I had progressed to between a 3-4 and they decided to start me on a little bit of Pitocin to move things along. I started getting uncomfortable after they started the Pitocin so we sent everyone out of the room to wait in the waiting room. My nurse came and checked me again at around 4:45 pm and I had gone to a 7. Things were really starting to get painful so the anesthesiologist came back in and gave me several doses of medicine to help but nothing seemed to relive the pain. This is exactly the same thing that happened when I was in labor with Maddox. Things progressed really quickly from here. Dawn checked me again at about 5 and said "you're ready to have a baby!!" A great thing to hear when you are in pain and so done being pregnant and in labor. They called my doctor in and I pushed for about 25 minutes, they helped speed things along by using the vacuum suction because Addison's heart rate had dropped then then at 5:29 pm our sweet baby girl was born.





Addison Grace weighed in at 7 pounds 0.4 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long. She has a full head of dark brown hair!! It is always such an amazing feeling to hear your baby cry for the first time!! She was perfectly healthy and we are so thankful for that!! It was a long day but definitely faster than Maddox's labor and delivery.


We spent the next day and a half in recovery and then headed home.  I don't want to jinx it but Addison is a dream baby!!  She is an amazing sleeper and is getting much better at nursing.  She is going 5-6 hour stretches at night which makes life so much easier on me since I can't nap whenever I want like I could with just one baby!!




Maddox is doing great with sister for the most part.  He loves to hold her, look at her and talk to her.  The main issue he has been having is that he doesn't like that I can't hold him whenever he wants like I used to.  It is also a little hard to make sure he is gentle with her.  Obviously a 2 year old doesn't quite understand how delicate a newborn is.  He is a good little helper though and I can tell really loves his baby sister.  I can't wait to watch them grow up together.




I still can't believe we have 2 children!! I am so thankful that God has chosen us to be Maddox and Addison's mommy and daddy!! We are so blessed to have 2 healthy kids and now that we have both of them I can't imagine life without them. I feel like being a mom is my calling in life. I have wanted to have children for as long as I can remember and I feel so incredibly bless that God has allowed me to have them. It has definitely been challenging going from one to two but I love both of my babies with all my heart and it is my greatest joy to be their mommy!! Thank you Lord for entrusting me with these precious gifts!!


Photobucket

1 comment:

The Shoes said...

Sweet story Holly! And a sweet baby girl to go along with it! I know you guys are just in heaven with those two precious kiddos!