Monday, August 17, 2009

Sleep Update

So once again I have been neglecting my blog. I do feel like I have an excuse though...I mean I have a 7 week old to take care of. I thought I would update you on his sleeping because we have crossed a milestone. I told you in my update post that I was going to be getting a book called "On Becoming Baby Wise" which is about getting babies to sleep better. Let me just tell you that book is a life saver. I read it in a day and a half and started doing what it suggested immediately. It recommends getting the baby on a 2 1/2 - 3 hours feeding schedule and that in turn is supposed to help them sleep better.

The first night we put him in his room was really hard (this was last Tuesday). He cried for about 30 straight and then it was time for him to eat so I fed him and laid him back down and he cried for another 30 minutes and then finally fell asleep. It was so hard to not go in and pick him up but I resisted. He then slept until about 1 or 2 and woke up to eat and then went right back to sleep until about 5. Then the second night we laid him down and he cried for about 45 minutes and then fell asleep. He then slept until about 3 and woke up to eat and went right back to sleep until about 5:30. Then on Thursday night I laid him down and low and behold he did not cry at all. It was bliss!! He just laid in his bed for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep and he hasn't cried since when I have laid him down at night. He then slept until about 3 again that night and woke up to eat and went right back to sleep until about 6. Then on Friday night he again just laid in his bed for a while and fell asleep. His Uncle Clark and Aunt Lara came into town that night so he stayed up until about 1 to see them so he slept until about 4 or so to eat. Then Saturday night he went to bed about 10:30 and laid there until about 11 and then fell asleep. Then he slept until 5 am!! YEP...he slept all night...it was AMAZING!! Then last night he went to bed around 10:30 again and slept until 6 this morning. We are making progress people!! It is so nice to finally have several hours of uninterrupted sleep again!

As far as naps go, we are still working on those. He still cries when we lay him down for naps and fights going to sleep and staying asleep. He usually falls right to sleep when we get in the car but he just isn't comfortable in his bed yet for some reason. We will get there though.

So that's his sleeping habits right now. We are definitely in a much better place than we were a week ago. We are just loving every minute with our little guy and while it's sad that he is growing so quickly it's fun to see each new stage and all the new things he learns.

That's all for now. I'll blog about Clark and Lara's visit next and hopefully have a few pics.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Babywise is your friend! I wouldn't want to have to have a newborn without it! Benton now sleeps 12-14 hours a night, and 3-4 hours in naps. I've had to get hobbies he sleeps so much!

Ashley said...

Yeah! Way to go!!

Michelle said...

way to go maddox, but more importantly, way to go, momma! keep it up, you're doing great!