Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Homemade Baby Food

We have officially embarked on the adventure of baby food with Brooklyn.  We tried out rice cereal last week and she did alright.  She didn't love it but ate it without any problems.  It is of course always a messy start when learning how to eat and this time was no different.  The second time I gave it to her she realized the fun in blowing raspberries with a full mouth of food.  She would smile so big when she did it.


Here is a fun little time lapse video of Miss B trying out bananas for the first time!  From the smile on her face I think you can tell she definitely enjoyed them!  Trying out new foods is always such a fun adventure!  Can't believe my baby girl is big enough already to be starting solid foods.


I had been thinking this time around about trying to make my own baby food instead of buying it in the pouches.  Those things a sorta expensive and I know its super easy to make it and way cheaper.  So today we stopped by the grocery store and picked up some apples, peaches, sweet potatoes, squash and green beans.  While the kids were napping I made all but the green beans!  It was so simple, I don't know why I didn't do this with the other kids.  All I did was peel the food, steam it in my veggie steamer, and then puree it in my little food processor!  Doesn't get much easier than that!  I then put it into ice cube trays and put it in the freezer.  Once its frozen I will put it into ziplock bags and then I can just pull a cube out and thaw it whenever I need it!  It only took me about an hour and a half to do all of it and what took the most time was steaming each thing until it was soft enough to puree!  I did have a cute little helper too part of the time! :D






Photobucket

No comments: