Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Potty Chart


I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was time to get more serious about getting Maddox completely potty trained.  He does great during the day we just haven't made the step to nap and night time without pull ups.

One of my friends at church mentioned that they used a calendar and put stickers on it every time her daughter woke up dry.  I immediately "stole" the idea and started it with Maddox.  I thought it would give him a better awareness of staying dry while he sleeps as well as get him excited about it too.   I made a big deal about going to the store to pick out stickers and printed him out some calendars that have cartoon characters on them.  He got super excited the day we went to get stickers because I left sister with Daddy and told him this was just a mommy and Maddox adventure and he just loved that.  I just taped the calendar to his bedroom door and he comes and asks me after he wakes up if he is dry.  (I think it's kind of hard for them to tell with pull up on because they are so absorbent so this should help with his awareness)

He has done pretty well but still isn't consistent enough to make the move to sleeping in unders yet.  I have about half a package of pull up left and am hoping to make the transition when those are gone but we will see.  I know it will probably require us just taking the leap but I am so not looking forward to changing sheets in the middle of the night!!  Those of you mommy's that have been though this have any tips for making that a little bit easier??





Photobucket

2 comments:

Laura Beth and Cliff said...

Great idea Holly! I would just put him in undies. If he has the feel of a diaper than he will know he can have an accident. We did this with Aidan and he corrected himself after 3 nights!

Jo Brock said...

I used incentives will all my kids! Different with each kid, depending on what would work best for them to get them motivated! I have now potty trained all 3 of my kids (including 2 1/2 year old Zeke) and have never used a single pull-up. In all reality, they are the same as a diaper and they get it in their subconscious that it's ok to pee in them. We just threw out the diapers and went full underwear 100% of the time! Of course, there were accidents and sheets changed, but after a few times, they started to wake up when they felt the sensation of needing to go! I say just ditch the pull-ups!