Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cliffhangers...

Man I hate them...but I love them...but I really hate them. I know what you're thinking right now, I have kinda left you few people who read my blog on one lately. Sorry about that.

**spoiler alert...I am going to talk about things in the last Harry Potter book so if you don't want to know what happens skip down to the next paragraph...**

I just finished the 6th book in the Harry Potter series called Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which really left things up in the air at the end. I mean our beloved Dumbledore has just been killed by Professor Snape who we thought for the 5 previous books was a friend of Dumbledore. Snape runs off with the punk kid Malfoy and Harry, Ron and Hermione have decided to drop out of Hogwarts right before their last year to go fight the evil Voldemort. And on top of that Harry has just broken up with Ginny, who happens to be Ron's little sister. It's just chaos. And what makes things worse we have to wait until July 21st to find out what happens. Will Harry live or die battling Voldemort? Is Dumbledore really dead? Will they catch Snape and Malfoy? I just don't know...I hate cliffhangers!

Now on Grey's Anatomy (my favorite TV show) they are ending with cliffhangers left and right. They are doing a 3-arc episode which started two weeks age and will conclude next Thursday. The first episode started out with a huge ferry boat wreck which caused thousands of people to be hurt or killed. The doctors have all rushed to the scene to help those involved. Then the episode ended with the main character, Meredith, being pushed off a ledge by a convulsing patient in to the icy Seattle waters. Then I had to wait a whole week to find out only part of what happens to her. I hate cliffhangers. The second episode aired this past Thursday and ended in an even bigger cliffhanger. Meredith was under water for a pretty long time but eventually her boyfriend, who happens to be the neurosurgeon at the same hospital figures out what has happened and goes into the water and brings her out. By this time she has suffered hypothermia and is in BAD shape. They bring her back to the hospital and are frantically working to save her life. However, the episode ends with her sitting up and looking around only to see 2 of the characters from previous episodes who have DIED. She then asks "am I dead?" to which Dylan responds with a nod saying YES. This is where we are now. Not knowing whether my favorite character, Meredith, with live or die. It was one of the saddest episodes Grey's has ever had. I'll admit, I shed some tears!! Once again I hate cliffhangers. And what makes matters worse is after next weeks episode they are set to air reruns for a few weeks. So, if that episode ends in a cliffhanger as well, which is very likely it will be pure torture!!! I hate cliffhangers!!

But really there is nothing you can do about it but...wait...and wait...and wait some more until the time comes to find out what happens next. It seems like this happens all to often in life as well. Whether it be waiting on test results for yourself of a family member who is sick, or waiting to hear back from that job interviewer, or waiting for your husband to graduate from grad school so you can find out where the Lord is going to lead you next...I hate cliffhangers...but I love cliffhangers because with out them there's really no reason to tune in next week to find out what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly she's not dead.There's an old saying in ER medicine."You're not dead until your warm and dead".When someone comes in with hypothermia'They will not stop the code until the body reaches a certain temperature.There are stories of doing chest compreesions for an hour.the heart will eventually start beating and amazingly there will be little brain damage.Gregie