Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Quilting

When we found out we were going to be getting a nephew I decided for a baby gift I wanted to try and make him a quilt.  I have to be honest I have not done much sewing so I really had no idea where to start.  I pretty much just winged the entire thing.  I went to JoAnn's and picked out some super cute fabric then procrastinated a while while I mustered up the courage to start cutting it all up.



 I started by cutting the solid colors into 10 X 10 inch squares.

 I embroidered his name on the middle square.



 Then I sewed al the squares together.
 For the outer border I cut strips out of the cute city scape fabric.
 I sewed them around the outside of the squares.
 Then for the back I used a grey minky fabric.  I wanted it to be a little padded so I used some quilting padding or whatever its called, lol.  I'm obviously not an expert at this whole quilting thing.  I used an adhesive spray to keep it in place then "quilted" around the outer area of the squares to hold it all together.  I used the excess of the backing as the binding around the whole thing.  I just folded it over and sewed it up.


It is by no means perfect but I hope Luke enjoys it and knows it was made with lots of love by his Aunt Holly!!

Photobucket

No comments: